Getting a new tattoo is an exhilarating experience, but as the summer sun heats up, so does the responsibility of caring for your ink. Your brand-new artwork deserves the best, and with the scorching sun and rising temperatures, the stakes are higher than ever. Fear not, though! In this guide, we’ll delve into tips and tricks about how to care for a new tattoo in the summer
Tips on How to Care for a New Tattoo in the Summer
1. Shade is Your Best Friend
In the scalding heat, think of your tattoo as a delicate flower. Just like you wouldn’t expose a plant to direct sunlight for too long, shield your tattoo from those harmful UV rays. Invest in loose, breathable clothing or use a light fabric wrap to ensure your ink stays protected.
2. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate
Summer often brings sweltering temperatures, and your body, including your tattoo, needs ample hydration. Moisturize your tattoo regularly with a fragrance-free and alcohol-free lotion to prevent it from drying out and cracking. Remember, a well-hydrated tattoo is a happy tattoo!
3. Avoid Prolonged Water Exposure
While a dip in the pool may seem enticing, water can be a foe to your fresh tattoo. Extended exposure to chlorinated or saltwater can lead to fading and irritation. Opt for short showers instead of lengthy baths and try to keep your tattoo as dry as possible.
4. Sunscreen is Non-Negotiable
The summer sun is relentless, and your tattoo is vulnerable to its harmful effects. Prioritize a tattoo-friendly sunscreen with at least SPF 30 whenever you step out. Make reapplication a habit, especially if you’re spending extended periods outdoors. Your tattoo will thank you for the extra layer of defence.
5. Say No to Scratching and Peeling
It’s tempting to peel off those flakes or scratch that itchy spot, but resist the urge! Let your tattoo heal naturally. Scratching can lead to scarring and fading, diminishing the brilliance of your new ink. Patience is key when it comes to tattoo care.
Read More: How to Do Watercolor Tattoos
Recommended Products for Summer Tattoo Care
1. Aquaphor Healing Ointment
- Intense Moisture: Aquaphor provides deep hydration, preventing your tattoo from drying out and promoting faster healing.
- Non-Irritating Formula: Its gentle, fragrance-free formula is suitable for sensitive skin, reducing the risk of irritation during hot summer days.
- Barrier Protection: Acts as a protective barrier against environmental elements, such as sun and water, shielding your tattoo from potential damage.
2. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen SPF 30+
- Broad Spectrum Protection: Guards your tattoo against harmful UVA and UVB rays, preventing fading and sun damage.
- Non-Greasy: The dry-touch formula ensures a lightweight and non-greasy application, ideal for everyday use in the summer.
- Water-Resistant: Provides long-lasting protection, even during water activities, ensuring your tattoo remains safeguarded.
3. Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion
- 24-Hour Hydration: Cetaphil’s moisturizing lotion keeps your tattoo consistently hydrated throughout the day, combating dryness.
- Gentle on Skin: The non-comedogenic and fragrance-free formula is gentle on sensitive skin, making it perfect for tattoo aftercare.
- Quick Absorption: Absorbs quickly, allowing you to apply it and go about your day without any greasy residue.
4. Saniderm Tattoo Aftercare Bandage
- Optimal Healing Environment: Acts as a protective second skin, creating an ideal environment for your tattoo to heal.
- Waterproof: Allows you to shower and engage in water activities without compromising the healing process.
- Reduced Irritation: Minimizes friction from clothing, reducing the risk of irritation during the hot summer months.
5. H2Ocean Aquatat Tattoo Ointment
- Natural Ingredients: Formulated with natural ingredients like beeswax and coconut oil, promoting a healing environment.
- Antibacterial Properties: Helps prevent infections, a crucial factor during the initial healing stages of your tattoo.
- Soothing Effect: Calms itching and discomfort, making it a soothing option for summer tattoo care.
6. Dermatone Lip Balm with SPF
- Lip and Skin Protection: Ideal for protecting sensitive areas like your lips and smaller tattoos from sun exposure.
- SPF Defense: Guards against sunburn, ensuring that every part of your tattooed skin is shielded.
- Compact and Portable: Easy to carry, making it convenient for on-the-go applications during outdoor activities.
Read More: How to care for hand and foot tattoos
What Problem You Can Face In Summer
Imagine this: You’ve just invested time, money, and a bit of pain into your beautiful new tattoo. The summer rolls around, and suddenly you find yourself battling the elements to ensure your ink remains as vibrant as the day it was etched onto your skin. The scorching sun, water activities, and the relentless urge to scratch—these are the enemies your tattoo faces during the summer.
As the mercury rises, so does the risk of your tattoo losing its lustre. The sun’s UV rays can be particularly harsh on fresh ink, leading to fading and a compromised appearance. Additionally, water exposure, whether from the pool, ocean, or excessive sweating, poses a threat to the healing process. Proper care is crucial to prevent infections, scarring, and other complications that may arise from neglecting your tattoo during the summer months.
But fear not! Armed with the right knowledge and a bit of TLC, you can ensure your tattoo not only survives but thrives in the summer heat.
Caring for a new tattoo in the summer requires a thoughtful and proactive approach. Your tattoo is a work of art, and just like any masterpiece, it deserves protection and preservation. By following these tips—shielding your tattoo from the sun, keeping it hydrated, avoiding prolonged water exposure, applying sunscreen religiously, and resisting the temptation to scratch—you’ll be well on your way to enjoying a vibrant and long-lasting tattoo.
As the summer sun beats down, let your tattoo shine, becoming a testament to both the artist’s skill and your commitment to its care. Cherish the process, embrace the healing, and revel in the beauty of your new ink under the warm summer skies.